Standing desks have gained immense popularity over the last decade. They promise improved posture, increased energy levels, and a break from the sedentary lifestyle many of us have unintentionally adopted. But, as with all things, there's an art to mastering the standing desk, and it lies in the principle of moderation.
The Golden Rule: Moderation through movement.
- 70 percent of your work positions should support your default style. For some that may be sitting, others standing on a balance board like FluidStance’s.
- 20 percent should push you out of your comfort zone to the adjacent position. If your default is sitting, you should be on a product like FluidStance’s balance boards for 20% of every hour at your desk or if you are a default stander, get off your feet 20% of the time to change things up.
- The last 10% should be in unadulterated movement. Walking meetings, post lunch strolls, stairs with a colleague etc. A key to the 70:20:10 framework is that it is all mixed up throughout the day and not done in big blocks. Make sure your “20” time is mixed into 70 and your 10 is throughout the day, not just one workout. Moderation is the best ergonomics.
Perfecting the Desk and Monitor Height
The most overlooked ergonomic aspect of desk ergonomics is lighting. A critical yet often overlooked aspect of ergonomics is the lighting at your workspace. Proper lighting reduces eye fatigue, boosts productivity, and can even influence your mood.
The Triple Threat of Task Lighting: FluidStance's Illum Desk Light. The FluidStance Illum Desk Light isn't just any desk lamp. It serves three primary purposes for desk ergonomics:
- Task Lighting: It ensures that your work surface is adequately lit, making reading and other tasks easier on the eyes.
- Ambient Lighting: Overhead lights can be harsh. The Illum Desk Light offers ambient lighting that softens the overall brightness of a room, creating a comfortable working environment.
- Video Call Lighting: With the surge in virtual meetings, having lighting that doesn't cast shadows or make you appear washed out is crucial. The Illum Desk Light ensures you're seen in the best light by your peers and yourself, literally.
In Conclusion: Achieving perfect ergonomics at a standing desk isn't just about standing. It's about balancing between different postures, ensuring your equipment is positioned correctly, and creating an environment that's embraces your body’s design to move, work with light and rest when needed. With moderation as your guiding principle, products like FluidStance's balance boards, on-desk organization systems and the Illum Desk Light, you're well on your way to creating a workspace that's both productive and ergonomically sound.